World War II: A Nazi woman is convicted of being involved in more than 10,000 murders
Nazi Woman Irmgard Furchner: The trial of Irmgard Furchner may be the last of the Nazi-era crimes in Germany, although some cases are still being investigated. Two other cases have gone to court in recent years for Nazi crimes committed at Stutthof.
Irgard Furchner said in court, ‘I am sorry for whatever happened.’
Berlin. A 97-year-old former Nazi typist and stenographer who worked in a Polish concentration camp has been convicted of involvement in the murder of 10,505 people during the Holocaust. This information was given in media reports. Irgard Furchner was given a two-year suspended prison sentence by a court in Itzehoe, Germany on Tuesday, the BBC reported. As a minor, Forschner served in Nazi-occupied Poland in the Stutthof camp near Gdańsk from 1943 until the end of the Nazi regime in 1945.
The woman was a minor at the time of the crime. Therefore, Furchner appeared in juvenile court for sentencing and will be placed on juvenile probation. About 65,000 people were killed in Stutthof under appalling conditions, including Jewish prisoners, non-Jewish Poles, and captured Soviet soldiers. According to the BBC report, Forchner was found guilty of aiding and abetting the murder of 10,505 people and complicity in the attempted murder of five others.
Fortuner ran away from the retirement home as soon as the trial started
At Stutthof, a variety of methods were used to kill prisoners from June 1944, and thousands perished in the gas chambers. When the trial began in September 2021, Forchner ran away from her retirement home and was eventually found on a street in Hamburg. In his address to the court, Furchner said, ‘I am sorry for what happened. I am sorry that I was in Stutthof at that time. That’s all I can say.
What did the court say during the hearing?
The court said the prisoners had been brutally killed ‘by gas, by hostile conditions in the camp, by being sent to the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp, and by being sent on so-called death marches.’ The BBC reported its trial. This may be the last of the Nazi-era crimes in Germany, although some cases are still being investigated. Two other cases have gone to court in recent years for Nazi crimes committed at Stutthof.